Friday, September 9, 2011

Let it Bee

"I wanted to be crazy, and I advise you to be crazy. To be weird. To be unreasonable. That's my favorite one. People are always saying, "Oh, come one, be reasonable!" And I want to shout, "No! I don't want to be reasonable!" I want to be completely unreasonable. I want to change the world. I want to be creative. I want to change the world creatively. And I want other people to be unreasonable with me." 
                                                                                                                                            -Matt Goldman

Bees, Bees, Bees. Bees are everywhere today, buzzing around trying to get acclimated to their new environment. What funny little creatures they are, always giving it their all, always going 100%. We could learn a lot from them, that much is certain. And to think, they do it all without Red Bull or those little bottles of liquid crack 5-hour energy drinks.

 I think what gets me the most about bees is their name, it doesn't really seem to fit when you actually think about it. The word 'bee', when stripped of all denotative meaning makes me think of behave, being, beep-beep, be. Yet, I've found that bees don't exactly behave properly. They always seem to bee terrorizing me every chance they get and I precede to run away screaming while waving my hands around my head like a mad woman, making me feel a bit embarrassed as my dogs lay there, judging me. They never seem to just be and become situated for more than a few seconds. Did you know that the saying "the bee's knees" was used originally to refer to something as inconsequential? Crazy, huh? The US completely changed the meaning into the opposite sense, which doesn't really surprise me at all.

 One thing is for sure though, bees won't ever have to worry about trying to find a job in this disastrous economic climate, lucky them.

Anyways, enough about all these buzzing bees. I guess it all stems from my lack of belonging anywhere right now. I've got this nice shiny diploma that I worked my tail off to get in the traditional 4-year time slot, during which I wholeheartedly believed I would have everything figured out by now. Romanticized dreams of living in a rustic studio with exposed brick walls in a fast-paced city and some wonderful job that fulfilled both my humanitarian and creative side have quite simply, evaporated into thin air.

I've always been a bit uncertain about what I wanted to do with my life, but I never actually believed I would not have it figured out by the time I turned 22. "You're young!" They say, while simultaneously contradicting themselves with the "What are you going to DO with your life?! Well let me tell you ALL about mine then!" The endless babbles regarding what other people did at my age are driving me insane. They come without any premeditated thoughts of "I wonder if telling this young lady about every detail in my life from 22-60 is going to be relevant/helpful/interesting..."

Needless to say, I'm a little irked at how others tend to transform my uncertainty into the equivalent of failure. At how the public has devised this master turmoil for college graduates, for America's youth in general. At how we are treated as inferior, as childish, yet expected to have a life plan that reflects a certain degree of maturity.

We're young, yes, but we're not ignorant.
We don't know it all, but we do know some.
We're passionate, but we're not crazy.
We're curious, but we're not stupid.
We're excited, but we're not unrealistic.
We're spirited, we're capable, we're eager, and we're full of potential.

Let us make our own way.
Let us follow our bliss.
Let us be wrong.
Let us be right.
Let us decide where we belong.
Let us decide who we belong with.
Let us have our say.
Let us be unconventional.
Let us be young.

We are the music makers, and the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, and sitting by desolate streams.
World-losers and world-forsakers, upon whom the pale moon gleams;
Yet we are the movers and shakers, of the world forever, it seems.





















No comments:

Post a Comment